Thursday, June 11--Bad hair season begins

Oh yippee. The rainy season officially began yesterday. Ironically, yesterday was the sunniest day we’ve had in a week (not counting today), so I asked some of my students why yesterday was chosen as the beginning of the season. They all looked at me with puzzled expressions, and speaking to me like I was mentally challenged said, “Because the meteorology department said so.” Of course. How silly of me.

Turns out it doesn’t rain every day during the rainy season. The season lasts about six weeks, but on average only about a dozen of those days are total washouts. However the potential is always there. The humidity is up around 80 percent or so (so high you wish it would just rain already), and it’s a crapshoot whether the clouds that are constantly forming will let loose a deluge or drift off and break up.

Umbrellas are always close at hand, scooter riders are clad in rubber suits, and an amazing rainbow of galoshes and Crocs has appeared on the feet of my fellow train-riders. I have been looking in vain for Japanese who are having as bad a hair day (…week…month…) as I am. How is it they all have hair that looks perfect in the rain or in a gale or after a sweaty hike to the train station while mine resembles a Brillo pad inserted into a light socket?

No comments: