Saturday, September 5--Settling up, part 1

I couldn’t understand why I had to go to the post office to pay my speeding ticket.  Wouldn’t the police station, or courthouse, or even city hall make more sense?  Apparently, Japan’s post office includes a bank.  Not exactly sure how or why it has been set up like this, but at least the reason I’m going there makes a little more sense now.

Anyway, after asking around, I found the location and hours of the Yokosuka branch of the post office, and made Jim agree to lunch at a restaurant near there today so I wouldn’t have to go by myself to pay my ticket.  (In case you’re wondering, I confessed to the ticket last night as soon as he walked in the door.  Not that I would have tried to hide it anyway, but I certainly wanted him to hear it from me before his boss gets a copy and says something about it.)

Walked up to what appeared to be an information desk in the post office, and with a hang-dog look showed the clerk my ticket and some yen.  He informed me that you can’t pay a ticket on Saturday, only Monday through Friday when the bank portion of the post office is open.

Darn.  Now I’ll have to go back during the week without reinforcements.

No comments: