Tuesday, November 25--B-Day--The Dreaded Bus

Today was my first day of work at my new job in Honatsugi. Last week I finished looking over the textbooks, came up with an introduction/ice breaker activity, and planned a grammar lesson. Yesterday I committed the names of my five students to memory, gathered all the materials I would need, and went over my lesson plan half a dozen times. You might think I was nervous about my first day of class. To the contrary, I just wanted to be prepared. What was actually giving me butterflies was the thought of getting to the job! Last night, every time I dozed off, I dreamt I was on a bus, driving endlessly around Japan, looking for my stop, unable to tell the driver where I was trying to go.

Reality (as is usually the case) turned out to be not so bad, and all my worry was for nothing. The class's previous teacher met me at the train station, took me to the bus stop, rode with me to the correct stop, showed me where to pick up my visitor's badge at the factory gate, walked me to the classroom, and sat through my class before riding with me back to the train station. The bus seemed easy enough, but of course I was with someone who knew where she was going and could read the kanji on the board which announces the next stop. While trying to carry on a conversation with her about the class, I was struggling to see out the windows (we had to stand because the bus was crowded) to look for landmarks so I'd know when to push the button to let the driver know I wanted to get off at the next stop. Now the test will be whether I was able to absorb enough information about my surroundings to be able to replicate the process on my own next week!

No comments: